HBO offers a streaming service including all its hit TV series and films. The service is built for existing HBO subscribers and non-subscribers alike. For existing subscribers, HBO offers a supplementary package with video on demand and access to shows that don’t appear in the usual cable schedule. For non-subscribers, HBO offers cheap subscription packages with access to the entire suit of HBO programming.
Streaming hit HBO shows such as Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, and Curb Your Enthusiasm
- The only place to get full access to all current and past HBO programs
- Integrates with other digital packages, such as Amazon and Hulu
- Customers aren’t required to be HBO cable subscribers
- No cloud storage or offline viewing
- Not as much content as the biggest TV streaming providers
- It’s a little expensive for the hours of content on offer
HBO provides access to all HBO programs and films, but nothing else. Therefore, the equation is quite simple. If you’re looking to access HBO’s suite of more than 130 hit TV series and hundreds upon hundreds of films, then this streaming service is for you. If you’re interested in a broader service that includes programming from across the spectrum of networks, then it’s not for you.
HBO is known for films, boxing, and kids’ content, but most of all it is known for its award-winning TV shows. With HBO TV streaming, you can stream many of the most popular TV shows from the past few years, including:
- Game of Thrones
- The Sopranos
- The Wire
- True Detective
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Silicon Valley
- True Blood
- Six Feet Under
- Sex and the City
- Boardwalk Empire
- Real Time with Bill Maher
The great thing about HBO Now is it doesn’t require any hardware or equipment. With an HBO streaming subscription, you can stream and/or cast HBO programs from any of the following supported devices.
- Amazon Fire tablets (3rd generation and later)
- Amazon Fire TV (including Amazon Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Cube, and Fire TV Edition Smart TVs)
- Android phones and tablets (version 4.1 and later)
- Android TV (5.0 and later)
- Apple TV (4th generation and later with latest tvOS software, or 2nd or 3rd generation with software updates)
- Chromecast, to cast HBO Now from your phone, tablet, or computer to your TV
- Computer (with Windows or Mac OS X. Google Chromebooks aren’t supported)
- iPhone, iPad, and iPad Touch (with iOS 8.0 and later)
- PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4
- Roku (2nd generation and later)
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox One and Xbox 360
Unfortunately, HBO Now doesn’t let subscribers download shows or movies without an Internet connection. This is a big disadvantage for subscribers who prefer to download their favorite programs and watch them offline when they’re away from WiFI, such as on a flight or bus or while waiting for a meeting or appointment. There’s been no word from HBO as to whether it will enable storage and offline viewing in future, although presumably this would be high on the list of customer demands.
HBO Now is available for use in the United States and certain U.S. territories. To our knowledge, there aren’t any regional restrictions within the 50 states of the U.S. While HBO programs are available via cable in more than 50 countries, its streaming services are available only to Americans. If you subscribe to HBO Now and find yourself traveling outside of the U.S., the best way to access your HBO streaming account is with a VPN.
For customer queries, the best way to contact HBO is by calling toll-free number 1-855-942-6660 (1-855-9-HBO-NOW). Alternatives are to use the direct contact form on the HBO Now website or to Tweet out to @HBONowHelp. Like any big cable TV network, customer feedback for HBO is mixed,m with billing issues being among the most common complaints. Fortunately, HBO Now customers get a separate, dedicated phone line they can call for issues related purely to TV streaming and not connected to HBO’s cable service.
It was a long time coming, but finally HBO fans have a streaming service where they can access all of HBO’s hit TV series, films, and specials through the one app and without having to subscribe to cable TV. With HBO Now, subscribers get an over-the-top streaming service that brings you all HBO programming on demand: from TV shows such as Game of Thrones, The Wire, and The Sopranos, to hundreds of award-winning films. The service doesn’t require any hardware installations. All it needs is a phone, tablet, or computer or, if you’d like to stream to your TV, a connection to a casting service such as Chromecast or AppleTV.